Saturday, May 15, 2010

Cloud Mobile

Cloud mobiles seem to be quite a popular thing at the moment. I have seen them around the internet for quite a while. They look great. And there are so many different interpretations of them. I decided to have a go at making one. I wanted to embroider onto it though.
After a trying writing onto the felt with a water soluble pen, free hand stitching and sewing Aida cloth to the back, I used baking paper that I wrote the quote onto and then stitched it onto the felt. It worked okay. Though if I am ever crazy enough to do such a small font on acrylic felt again, I will do tighter stitches. The text lost a little bit the form when I tore off the paper.
The quote is one that Tim found on the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation website (a US site) not long after we found out about Amelia's diagnosis. It reads "life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about getting out there and dancing in the rain."
I love how the raindrops and heart have turned out. I love the whole thing actually. Except maybe the size of the quote. But then I didn't want it to be huge.
Here it is hanging in Amelia's bedroom. See the flower garland is finished and hanging up from this post. Love the way it turned out. Still have to make some more for Esther and Ellamay. And that is Amelia's name canvas. Painted by her artist Aunty.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Glenyce! Thanks for popping over, love your cloud mobile!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. I saw this over on One Pretty Thing, and when I popped over here to see the larger photo, the quote made me catch my breath. I had a sweet friend from college who passed away from leukemia last year, and this was her favorite quote. She was just 28 when she passed, but boy did she dance in the rain before she went! Lovely mobile - thanks for reminding me of my friend today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgive me taking so long to respond here. Glad to hear you like my mobile. Makes me feel clever:-)

    Geek+Nerd, thanks for sharing this with me. It's nice to hear that my little craft could remind you of your friend.

    ReplyDelete